Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Poor Babies!

Whoever said Sunday's were restful doesn't live at my house. Today was definately not restful. It started like any other Sunday: alarm didn't go off, I jump out of bed, realize we are late, yell at Kevin to get up and then rush around to get everyone fed, dressed and out the door on time. We got to church just fine.


Now, Landan has been having a really hard time at church lately. lots of tantrums and kicking and crying during church. He was an angel today. Gavin was pretty cranky though. By nursery he was clinging to me. I think he's figured out I don't stay the whole 2 hours and he didn't want to let me out of his grasp so I couldn't get away. Well, I did get away and about 10 min. later I have to go back so I can change his diaper. I got him back settled in nursery and left (he cried for awhile after that) and just got back to Relief Society when all _ _ _ _ (insert whatever word you choose) broke loose.


I heard a child crying hysterically and I thought it might be Landan. I was right. I got called outside to find Landan hysterical standing next to Kevin. Apparently he had found a wire and stuck it in an outlet during his class. His teacher said she heard a big poof and there were sparks and a few flames and then he started screaming. He had electrical burns on both hands with plastic stuck to the burned parts. All I could think was "Oh my gosh his heart". But he was alert and crying so I was pretty sure he was ok but I couldn't remember if you could put water or ice on an electrical burn. And I couldn't remember his doctors phone number to ask either. Luckily there was a lady there who had an iPhone and she looked up the hospital number to ask them. Everyone was rushing around trying to help and Landan was hysterical and I was panicking inside trying not to let him know how scared I was. I quickly got Gavin's babysitter to take care of Gavin who was very confused and upset at this point.


Kevin and I drove Landan to the children's hospital where they checked his heart and cleaned his hands up. He now has bandages on both hands but everything else seems ok. Apparently by the time we left the whole primary had heard and his class was in hysterics so the bishop had to go have a talk with them and let them know Landan was ok. (They had been moved to another classroom).



We were only at the hospital for over 2 hours so we got Gavin on the way home. He must have decided he wasn't getting enough attention because while I was helping Landan get undressed (he's not supposed to use his fingers) Gavin climbed up on Landan's bed and fell off and hit his face on the dresser and started bleeding all over. It wasn't serious but those of you who have kids know that facial injuries just bleed a lot. I'm still in my sunday clothes trying to keep blood off of myself while holding a cloth to Gavin's mouth while he struggles to get free. And Landan's getting upset becuase Gavin is hurt and bleeding. So now I have one child with electrical burns on his hands and one child with a fat lip. (You can't tell from the picture but his upper lip is bigger and his mouth is all red.) What a day!

11 comments:

Ashley A. said...

What a day is right! Poor Landan especially. I'm glad he's OK. "When it rains it pours" always seems to be true with siblings and illnesses/injuries.

Sarah H said...

OH my that sounds awful. How scary. I'm glad that Landon is okay and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Cassie said...

I'm glad Landan is ok. That is a crappy day.

Eppie said...

Glad everyone is OK. But you know, one day you will look back on this and laugh. I got a chuckle out of it. Maybe it is a sick sense of humor, or maybe I remember having days that seemed like that.

finn freak said...

Oh marissa I am sorry. that really stinks...
however my question is.... What was his teacher doing that he had time to grab a hanger and insert it into a socket with out her stoping him? it is not like he found the hanger nexst to the socket and just inserted it... he had to get it and walk over to the socket and then line it up and insert it... that takes a few minutes of movement during class and How did the teacher not notice?

Nursemom said...

It wasn't a hanger. It was one of those plastic coated paper clips. He picked it up, pulled it straight and was sitting next to the outlet and wanted to know what would happen if he stuck it in. Now he knows.

finn freak said...

oh ok that makes sense... i was wondering

Mother Goose said...

So sorry! Hope today went a little better!

Mother Goose said...

I will laugh if we get a church wide letter from the First Presidency saying we have to have outlet covers on all outlets now. Glad he is ok though.
-Mike

Valerie and Adam said...

Wow, I always thought that was just a myth, about someone finding metal and actually putting it in an electrical outlet. I'm so sorry! That must ahve been quite the heart attack for you. I hope everyone recovers nicely, and that Landan at least learned a lesson in electricity. :)

Hope you're doing ok!

Elizabeth said...

Poor Landen, glad to hear he's doing better!! Boy--we're missing out on all the fun! We'll be there on Sunday, let's hope for nothing quite as exciting!!