Friday, May 9, 2008

Gavin's Birth Story

I was 38 weeks pregnant when Gavin was born. I had a slight complication that made him come at that time. I had what's called "Cholestasis of Pregnancy". It's a rare condition that happens because of pregnancy. It can also happen for other liver diseases but mine was because I was pregnant. What that basically means is that my liver wasn't processing my bile acids so it was dumping them in my bloodstream. It made me itch all over the place so badly with no rash. It was horrible. I have sores all over because I was scratching so much. Unfortunately it was also dumping them in the baby's bloodstream. This apparently has an increased risk of stilbirth. So, since I was already full term they decided to induce me early.

I went to the hospital at 7:00 on Sun. morning. They started Pitocin at 8:30. I was having some pretty good contractions but nothing too serious. At 11:30 the doctor came in and decided to get things moving faster. I was already dilated to 3 cm before I came to the hospital. She broke my bag of water at 11:30. That's when the fun started. My contractions immediately started getting REALLY intense. By 12:15 I was in so much pain. I couldn't relax or breathe. I had planned on trying it natural but I couldn't take it anymore. Pitocin makes things so much worse I decided. I got the epidural by 12:30 and I was already at 9 cm. So I went from 3-9 in 1 1/2 hours. I pushed twice and he was born at 12:54pm. I felt great. It was such a rush of adrenaline. I was so happy and he was so beautiful. He came out crying but kind of wimpy crying. After they gave him his shots he was crying pretty good though. He was pink and crying and so cute. It's been a long road and I'm so glad he's finally here.

2 comments:

English Rose said...

Hi Marissa,
My Mum had this same condition when she was pregnant with me and I heard it was really rare. Sad that you had to go through that, but I'm really excited about the new bundle of joy you have in your family.
I'll be seeing you soon at Avery's birthday party in the summer I'm sure.
Take care
Karen Balla

English Rose said...

Hi Marissa,
I'm not sure how often you read your blog comments, but wanted to check some details with you. I think I might have cholestasis like you had with your pregnancy. I woke up last night itching like CRAZY all over, but mainly in my hands and feet. My Mum had this same condition when she was pregnant with me, so I really worry I have it. I'm about 34 weeks pregnant, so don't really have long to go.
Email me if you can. I'd love to get some advice from you.
Thanks. Karen Balla
karenballa@gmail.com