First let me just say, I love Christmas! The entire season starting at Halloween and ending at Christmas is my favorite time. I love decorating and all the lights and buying gifts (even though they're not for me, it's an excuse to spend money, yay!). I love the whole feeling of the season (cheezy I know, but I can't help it.) I've been listening to Christmas music since before Thanksgiving when I found a radio channel that was playing it. As I was listening I realized they never play Amy Grant. My mom bought this CD when I was in middle school or high school and I love it. There's a song on this CD called "Breath of Heaven" and I think it's beautiful. When I was in high school my dad helped start this tradition in Clinton, IA where I'm from . There was a big park there that overlooked the Mississippi called Eagle Point Park. They started a light show called "Symphony of Lights". They had a lodge that had different activities during the season. For a couple of years my family was the entertainment for one of the nights. You see, my family has a built in orchestral quintet (2 violins, viola, cello, base), we mostly all sing, and my parents both play the piano. So we'd sing and play and entertain.
Here's my confession: Most of us complained about it or didn't want to practice for it. We all joke about how my dad used to drag us around caroling and even brought our instruments a couple of years. But in reality, I loved it. Secret's out. I thought dragging instruments around caroling in the middle of winter was a little much (sorry dad) but all the other times we got to play for people, I loved it. I was so proud that my family had the talent and we were close enough to be able to work together to perform. It was fun.
One of my favorite memories is when we were playing at Symphony of Lights, my mom had a book of the songs from Amy Grant "Home for Christmas" and they did an arrangement they came up with from "Breath of Heaven". My Dad would play the piano, my brother would accompany on the cello, and my mom would sing. It was beautiful. It always made me want to cry.
I can now understand why my dad bragged about us so much. If I have talented children like he did, I'd be wanting to show them off too. So, thanks Dad. I really did enjoy showing off our talents and playing together.


8 comments:
I still have a picture of the two of us dressed in black running tights, Christmas boxers, knee-high red and green striped toe socks (with jingle bells,) and our Symphony of Lights t-shirts. We must have been at the Lyon's Christmas walk, performing for choir. We were S-E-X-Y.
I can't believe that was NINE years ago!
Yeah dad I would have to agree. I loved it too and actually miss it now. Those were great times. And marissa, It almost doesn't feel like christmas until I hear Breath of heaven sung by mom and played by jonny on the cello. I miss that alot.
A couple of years ago Ashlyn actually found the Amy Grant CD and bought it for me. I was so mad two days ago when I was getting some Christmas music together to take to work and I could not find it. At least we have it downloaded on our computer so we still litsen to it every year. It is not Christmas with out that music. Oh the good old days.
For me, it isn't Christmas until I've been in or seen the Nutcracker. I don't think we'll be able to make that a family tradition until Avery is a little older.
Music is not one of my families talents. We don't sing much. Oh well. I've got your address for christmas. Do you have ours? If not, let me know and I'll email it to you. Merry Christmas :)
I miss those days too. They really were fun. We knew you would think so when you got older. That is the best song. I love to sing it. I just wish Jonny were close so we could do it for the ward again.
Ah, the days of riding "cargo" with Jonny in the Tahoe, smashed between the cello and the rest of the instruments.
HAHA! Cargo! I remember that! That was.........cold. But i have to admitt, without it we would not have as many fun stories to tell.
Post a Comment