Sunday, August 24, 2008

Milestones

We have hit a few milestones this weekend. For starters, Landan went to his first birthday party. It was at Chuck E. Cheese. He was so excited. It was a little girl named Avery, one of the girls from his daycare that has to hug him before he leaves. It wasn't one of those where the invited the whole class either, just a few close friends which he apparently is. Her mom said she comes home and talks about him and asks when she is going to see him at daycare again.

As for Gavin, he turned over for the first time. He went from his tummy to his back. It took him about 10 minutes and a lot of coaching and me trying really hard not to help he got himself on his back. He was very happy with himself.

And I have hit the last milestone. Anyone who knows me pretty well will know that I don't yell. I just don't. I get mad, I get upset and frustrated, but I just don't yell. Ask Kevin, I just don't yell. I have just about the longest fuse of anyone besides Ghandi and Confuscious(sp?). Well, Landan has finally managed to make me lose my temper. Over the last week he has developed some really annoying habits. He has turned into a 2 year old. When he doesn't get what he wants or doesn't like what you say, he throws a huge temper tantrum. Throw himself on the floor, crying and screaming tantrum. He also likes to hang on me. He's always hugging me and kissing me and hanging on me and grabbing me. I love his hugs, but not every 2 minutes. Today, after telling him I"m not a jungle gym for the 100th time, I got up to get him some dinner and I had Gavin in my arms. Landan decided it would be fun to grab my legs which made me almost trip while holding Gavin. I got so annoyed I yelled at him to stop touching me. I of course felt bad afterwards but I really can't tell you how often I tell him not to grab me during the day. And it's not always while I'm holding Gavin. He does it all day long, at home, at the store, at church. He smothers me and it's extremely tiring. I'm sure he'll grow out of it soon, but it's so annoying right now.

I"m pretty sure he's just regressing finally because he's jealous of Gavin. I try to spend time with him every day, just the two of us, and I tell him I love him all the time. I also tell him when he does things that are good to let him know when I appreciate his behavior. But he thinks I need to spend time with him all day, not just a few hours. Eventually he's just going to have to get over it. I can't wait until then. Any advice would be welcome.

4 comments:

Sarah H said...

I don't have any advice: just praise that you don't ever yell. I wish I was that way. I'm working on it, but I do yell at my boys.
ANd that EXACT thing has happened to me, where they grab my legs and I almost fall, and while I'm holding Audrey.
It is VERY frustrating.
You are a good mommy. Keep it up.

Mother Goose said...

Sorry, no advice. I hope you get it figured out soon so I can call you and ask you.

I actually did fall yesterday while holding Avery. I was wearing flip flops in the rain. There were about 30 people who saw it happen and no one came to help us up. Mike was so mad!

Good luck!

Mrs. C. Yeates said...

Yelling never killed a kid. Sometimes it helps get a message across. And since it is not a habit of yours, your just fine.

Nursemom said...

I would like to clarify. It's not that I don't yell by choice, I just don't ever get mad enough to yell. Like I said, I have a very long fuse.