Thursday, August 13, 2009

Follow up

Okay, so I finally decided to call ECI and get Gavin evaluated. I think I finally figured out why I was dragging my feet so much. When Landan was refered I called them immediately. But I think that is because he had other problems with eating and tantrums and I knew something had to be not right. He was always somewhat difficult so I wasn't so surprised when the pedi referred him. I started having doubts about my parenting when he started acting up again when he was 3 and it was almost a relief to get him diagnosed with SPD and into therapy again. At least I had a name for his behavior. He was basically normal with a prblem we could deal with.

Gavin has always been so normal. He hasn't had any problems developing at all. He walked and crawled at the right times. He eats well, he sleeps well, he doesn't have tantrums. Well he does now but that's because he can't communicate his needs fast enough. But he's doing so well. Then the doctor suddenly tells me that he's delayed in speech and he doesn't have some fine motor skills he should have as well. All this time I thought he was doing great and now I find out there's something wrong with him too. So I got to thinking, maybe there really isn't anything wrong with him. Maybe I'm not parenting my kids right. What if all my kids end up needing speech therapy. What more can I be doing? Now I'm going to have to be all worried about him and make sure he starts developing all his skills right instead of just enjoying him.So I guess in my subconscience I was hoping if I waited and worked really hard with him that he would come out normal and everything would be fine.

I know this is ridiculous and i'm sure it has nothing to do with my parenting but you can't help but wonder when your child has a problem. Especially when it's the one who was supposed to be doing fine. So I'm going to get him evaluated and hopefully we won't need therapy at all or at least for not long.

3 comments:

Sarah H said...

Marissa you are a great mom. WE all wonder though if we're not a good parent, especially if our children have challenges.
I hope things go well with gavins therapy.

Mnisa said...

I agree with Sarah, I think all moms go through a time when they wonder if they are being a good parent and meeting their children's needs. However, I bet anyone that knows you will agree that you a wonderful mom and woman who has a talent and gift when it comes to working with, caring for and loving children. You are a natural! It is evident that your boys just love you and that you love and adore them. There will always be struggles and challenges in one form or another, but my guess is that you will pass any test/trial with flying colors, increased love and a sympathy to help others who will face similar things.

Andie said...

While I haven't had the chance to meet your boys it is clear to me that you adore them and love being a mother. They are with you because you are just the right person to love and praise them through the hurdles life hands out. Pat yourself on the back for taking advantage of the resources you have to help your little ones -lots of folks might not make that happen!