Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dessert math


I don't mean to brag, but sometimes Landan amazes me. When Kevin picked Landan up from daycare today he turned to his teachers and said, " Have a good weekend." I don't even know where he learned that phrase. Then after dinner, because he had eaten his WHOLE dinner without fussing, he got dessert. We have some Christmas candy we're trying to get rid of so he gets it for incentives. Anyway, I put two pieces of candy in front of him for dessert without saying anything. Here's our conversation:

Landan: " I have two candy."


After he had put one in his mouth, I put one more on the table and said, "with the one in your mouth, now how many do you have?"


Landan:" I have three."


I couldn't believe it. Then I put four on the table and said, " Can you count them?"


Landan: "um...3, 4, 7, 9."


So apparently counting is beyond him, but adding, that's easy.

1 comment:

Mrs. C. Yeates said...

As a teacher, I agree with the counting is harder idea. I have kids who can add fast in their head...but can't find page 21 in their math books.

Landan is really cute. Your stories make me laugh.